Night Overground extended to Highbury & Islington from 23 February
The Night Overground will extend to Canonbury and Highbury & Islington stations from Friday 23 February, linking up with the Victoria Line (which also runs the Night Tube) for the first time.
Here are five quick facts about how the Night Tube and the Night Overground are helping to make London a truly 24-hour city:
- It’s just getting started. The Night Overground has run on Friday and Saturday nights between Dalston Junction and New Cross Gate since December, with more than 30,000 journeys made.
- It’s popular. The Night Overground follows the huge success of the Night Tube, which saw more than nine million journeys in its first year.
- It’s fast. The Night Tube has helped cut late-night journey times by an average of 20 minutes.
- It’s good for business, creating more than 3,600 jobs and contributing more than £170 million to the economy in its first year. The Night Overground extension will boost Islington’s vibrant nightlife, making it easier for people to get to and from the area’s many restaurants, bars, theatres, cinemas and other cultural highlights.
- It’s not just for hipsters: The new extension to Islington will make late night travel even easier and quicker for the many night shift workers, including emergency services and the hospitality sectors, who work in north and east London.