Newport School 2019/20
What problems were in your school and how did you identify them?
Attendance- persistent absence was well above national standards; pupil mobility was high and gender gaps existed in the core subjects.
What actions did you take?
- Through careful analysis of data sets, key gaps and targets were identified. These were then addressed by:
- Relaunch of attendance procedures and protocols. A working party was set up which was made up a variety of staff, classroom attendance displays were created, half-termly 'attendance zoning' letters were given out and close support from SLT and the Admissions Officer were given to vulnerable families.
- Professional development was linked to gender gaps within data. Sessions were focused on brain development and function and the implications of this to classroom practice.
- Structured induction programme was implemented for new arrivals.
- Action research projects conducted by all teaching and support staff to develop pedagogy on data gaps.
What were the outcomes?
- Reduction of PA; 13.7%- 5.7%.
- Reduction of gender gaps- 5%.
- New arrival children make good progress (from starting points)