And the winner is WithLula from Imperial College London
The Mayor's Entrepreneur
On 16 April our top ten pitched their smart business ideas to our panel of esteemed judges in a very exciting event.
We then moved over to the Bridge Theatre where James Bardrick the UK CEO from our sponsor Citi presented the award to Aaron Koshy and Olivia Ahn of WithLula from Imperial College London.
WithLula is developing zero-waste, fully-flushable sanitary products delivered directly to customers. More information about the awards event and the other finalists can be found here.
Should I enter as an individual or as part of a team?
- You can enter as either or both.
Who can apply?
- you must be, or have been in 2017, a student from a university or college within Greater London or have graduated in December 2016. You'll need to submit proof you were a student , like a scan of your student ID/graduation certificate showing the date
- you must be over 18 on 30 March 2018
Do all team members have to be eligible to enter the competition?
No, you can choose whoever you want for your team, as long as the lead member is eligible. However, only the lead member and eligible team members can receive the prize money and/or be considered for an internship.
Eligible members will sign a basic contract with City Hall before receiving the prize money
Step 1: Come up with a great idea
Students, either as individuals or part of a group, have between now and the deadline to come up their ideas.
Step 2: Submit your great idea
Enter the competition via the competition entry page.
Step 3: Judges do their bit
An expert panel of judges will create and shortlist ten of the best ideas to go through to the final.
Step 4: The final
In March 2018, the lucky finalists get to pitch their ideas in front of the judges and a live audience at City Hall. This is when the Mayor's Entrepreneur 2018 will be chosen.
There is only one overall winner but we do have categories to show you the kind of ideas we are looking for. We hope they help get you started.
We do have a category called Other, so don't feel limited by the category titles - we really want to hear all your smart ideas for London!
- Air quality
- Food waste
- Recycling and reuse
Ideas are judged on:
- Originality - What makes your idea new for London? How is it better and smarter than companies that already exist?
- Practicality - The top prize is £20,000, can you take the first step for your idea with that much funding?
- Clarity - Make sure you describe your idea really clearly
- Longevity - Where do you see your idea in 5 years time?
- Carbon savings - If you are doing things smarter than other businesses you are probably saving energy and resources which also saves carbon!
The delivery team can give feedback on applications before you submit them and help you spot the carbon savings. Email [email protected]